Are you one of the many who don’t wear sunscreen everyday? One who say to your friends “But it’s not sunny, you don’t need it!” Well, newsflash, you do need sunscreen everyday and here is why if you want to protect yourself:
- Dermatologists with the Skin Cancer Foundation estimate that 90 percent of visible aging comes not from the number of candles on your birthday cake but the hours you’ve spent in the sun. Wearing sunscreen daily saves your skin from years of visible damage later.
- People who use sunscreen daily show 24% less skin aging then those who do not use sunscreen daily
- The sun is strong even during rainy and overcast days! There is a difference between UVB and UVA rays. UVB rays can give you a sun burn and are generally filtered out by the clouds, that’s why we normally don’t worry about getting a tan or burnt on a rainy or cloudy day. UVA rays will not give you a sun burn however they will contribute to premature aging and sun damage. Since UVA rays are a different wavelength of light than UVB they are able to penetrate through clouds, so even on those grey cloudy days you are aging yourself just as much as you would be on a bright sunny day. When it comes to aging it is important to protect yourself every day no matter the weather.
- Not wearing sunscreen because you are inside for most of the day? We would like to introduce you to High energy visible (HEV) light. Computer monitors, flat screen televisons, mobile phones with flat screens, energy efficient cool white daylight or full spectrum lights, reflective surfaces like snow, concrete, sand, water, and glass or even sitting near car/office windows, provides constant exposure to the damaging effects of HEV lights. New research shows that skin damage caused by HEV light may be as harmful as the damage caused by UVA and UVB light combined. ZO Medical and ZO Skin Health SPF’s with fractionated Melanin molecules are some of the only sunscreens on the market that are proven to protect against harmful HEV lights.
- Not all sunscreens are created equal. Many people believe that the higher the SPF number the more protected they are. This is true only for UVB rays, and like we previously mentioned UVB is only a small part of the aging equation. By now I hope you realize that sunscreen is the most important part of your beauty regime. If you are investing money in quality skin care don’t then cover it up with the layer of cheap sunscreen that is not leaving you fully protected. Invest in a good quality sunscreen, preferably a medical grade product, that also protects you from UVA rays and HEV light. Take the time to meet with a skin care specialist or doctor to find the right sunscreen for your skin. If you do one thing for your skin it should be a quality sunscreen.
Remember, sun exposure today means premature aging tomorrow.
My personal favourite sunscreen is ZO Medical SPF 30 Sunscreen + Primer. I love that it is two products in one, a medical grade SPF and an amazing primer. It contains natural melanin, titanium dioxide, and zinc oxide to provide broad-spectrum UVA and UVB protection. UVA accounts for approximately 95 percent of the UV radiation reaching the Earth’s surface. It can penetrate into the deeper layers of the skin contributing to skin aging and wrinkling.
It will even out your skin tone and brighten it up instantly! At the lab we refer to it as photoshop in a bottle. Perfect for all skin types and yes, you can even wear it under makeup! It blends in seamlessly into my skin without leaving it looking white or grey like most sunscreens can for me. This is my one product that if I were to be stuck on a desert island, I couldn’t live without! Protecting my skin from the sun plus making it look flawless? Hello!
You can buy it online here!
If you have any questions, we would love to answer them!